Magnus Okuonghae

Full Contact Player

Magnus Okuonghae

Luton Town




Nigerian born Magnus Okuonghae spent his early youth career with Fulham, but signed for Rushden & Diamonds in 2002 aged 16. Magnus made his professional debut on 22 November 2003 for Rushden (against the side he would later play many games for, Colchester United) as a 17 year old.

A spell on loan at Bishop's Stortford followed in the 2004–05 season, where he made eight Conference South appearances before returning to Rushden & Diamonds. During the 2005–06 season, Magnus found himself playing more regularly for the Diamonds, making a late substitute appearance in a 1–0 away victory at Mansfield Town on 9 August 2005. He would make a further 22 appearances in League Two, the League Cup and the Football League Trophy throughout the season, as he also registered his first professional goal in a 2–1 away defeat to Rochdale on 1 October 2005.

Following Rushden's relegation Magnus joined Conference Premier side Aldershot Town in August 2006, and also had a short spell with St Albans City on a non-contract basis. In January 2007, he moved to his third Conference club of the season - the ambitious Crawley Town. He made his debut for the Red Devils on 13 January 2007 as they defeated his former club Aldershot 2–0. Magnus would play 21 times for Crawley in the remainder of that season.

Dagenham & Redbridge signed Magnus in May 2007 from Crawley. Magnus would go on to make 55 league appearances for the Daggers, playing in all but one league game in the 2008/2009 season.

With his contract at Dagenham expired, despite a new contract offer Magnus decided to join League One club Colchester United in July 2009. He signed a two-year deal with the U's, although compensation had to be paid to Dagenham & Redbridge. The fee for Okuonghae was set at a tribunal in August 2009, with the Professional Football Compensation Committee deciding that Colchester United should pay Dagenham & Redbridge an initial fee of £45,000, with an additional £5,000 paid after the player had made 15, 30, 45 and 60 appearances; a total further payment of £20,000.

Magnus had a memorable debut for Colchester on 8 August 2009 as he starred for Paul Lambert's side in the club's huge 7–1 away win against recently relegated Norwich City (a match that would seen result in Lambert's appointment as Norwich City manager). Having played every game for the club since his move, he was firstly given the captains armband following Pat Baldwin's injury in September 2009, and then he was rewarded with a new deal in December 2009 to keep him at the Community Stadium until 2012. Magnus ended the 2009–10 season with 49 appearances in all competitions for the U's.

For his second season with the club, Magnus remained a regular starter, appearing in Colchester's longest unbeaten run from the beginning of a season with 10 matches played. He scored his first goal for the club on 25 September 2010 with the final U's goal in a 3–1 win at home to Tranmere Rovers. Soon after, he scored his second goal for the club in a 1–1 away draw with Milton Keynes Dons on 2 October. Until November, Magnus had made 17 first-team appearances in the 2010–11 season, however, an ankle injury kept him out of action for the rest of the year, with Magnus unsure of when he would be able to return to action. He then had to undergo ankle surgery in February 2011, ruling him out for the remainder of the season.

Magnus returned to the first-team for the beginning of the 2011–12 season as the U's dispatched Preston North End 4–2 on the opening day of the season. Magnus had another solid season, racking up 45 appearances in all competitions.

In July 2012, Magnus signed a new three year contract with Colchester United. During the 2012/2013 season, Magnus made 46 appearances and scored three goals,

In a season where Colchester battled against the threat of relegation to League Two, Okuonghae made 46 appearances and scored three goals. Following a solid start to the 2013–14 season, Magnus was nominated for the League One Player of the Month award for August, having been an ever-present member of the Colchester defence that conceded just four goals in five games. He went on to make another 46 appearances for the club throughout the season.

Magnus was appointed as club captain for the start of 2014/2015 season and celebrated by scoring the U's first goal of the season - 7 minutes in to their home fixture against Oldham. Sadly, the season was thwarted by an achilles tendon injury meaning that Magnus' last appearance for the U's was on the 22nd November 2014 against Coventry City. Magnus had made 215 appearances in all for Colchester United.

Leaving the U's after a six year association, Magnus signed a two year contract at ambitious League Two club Luton Town on 1st July 2015. After finally recovering from his November 2014 injury, Magnus' first appearance for the Hatters came as a sub on the 1st September in the Football League Trophy. His first start came in the second round of that competition, on the 6th October away to Gillingham.

In order to regain match fitness, Magnus joined Hartlepool on a month's loan on the 16th October and the following day he made his first League start in over a year - assisting his new club to an excellent 1-0 away win. It was not long until Luton were keen to have Magnus return, and after 4 appearances for Hartlepool Magnus would finally make his League bow for Luton on the 12th December against Northampton - retaining his shirt thereafter.

Get In Touch


UK Offices:

+44 (0) 1603 281109

Irish Offices:

+353 (0) 1 524 9243

or email us on